Yo check it. I just bought this 1978 Puch Magnum. In my opinion, it is a rad moped because it looks like a motorcycle. I am going to fix this one up and make it cafe racer sick, but for now I am going to just try to get it to run…or even start. Then I am going to see about making the brakes work. Yeah…
Here is a list of stuff that is wrong with it:
- It doesn’t run. Won’t even start.
- It’s missing every single piece of the foot pedal assembly.
- It is missing coil overs on the rear shocks.
- The brake, clutch and throttle cables are frayed and old.
- The front wheel is a 16” rebuilt wheel on the original hub, but the rear wheel is the stock 17” size.
- The carburetor is missing some internal parts as well as the air filter and the choke plate lever was sheared off at some point.
- The muffler is dented and kinked halfway shut.
- The gas tank has a big dent in it and the paint around the fill hole is stripped off from old gas spilling out either in an accident or because someone was drunk and overfilled it.
- The electrical system has been re-wired and it’s a mess as a result.
- The rear brake wont even engage.
- The front brake sucks and won’t stop it while rolling at 3mph.
- I doubt the engine has any compression. It is almost surely blown.
- The entire bike is painted in what seems like high temp flat black rattle can paint.
The good stuff is this:
- It’s a Puch Magnum
So this is the starting point. A moped project for the sake of itself and nothing else. Hopefully I end up with something kick ass.